Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Finally, a sandwich I can get on board with!


Restaurant.com has become my good friend. I have mentioned it several times on this blog, but if you missed it you can read about it here. In this trying economy everyone is looking for a good deal. We love to eat out, and while the economy hasn't affected us terribly yet, we are always on the lookout for deals. Last week, the website ran a special to buy $25 gift certificate for $1. That is insane..basically it's a free $25 gift certificate. When browsing through the offerings, I found certificates to buy at Pickles and Chips in Towson (1220 East Joppa Road Towson, MD 21286 Phone: 410-321-1088). I have seen this place driving down Joppa Road to go to the mall but never stopped in. I further heard about them when they had a mention in Baltimore Magazine for a top sandwich.

With our $25 gift certificate in hand, we went to lunch on Sunday with the kids. The place was empty as we expected on the Ravens home opener. Brian and I got hot corned beef sandwiches on rye. My daughter got a turkey sandwich and my son got a bagel and cream cheese. We have been very skeptical of corned beef since moving to Maryland. No one seems to know how to make it down here. We are used to Jewish style delis from Philly and New York and frankly no one in Harford County has come close. While not as good as our favorite NY delis, Pickles and Chips had a very good sandwich that was what I was used to. Brian, the owner owned a deli in Owings Mills, MD and understands what pastrami and corned beef are really all about. The sandwiches came with really good homemade potato chips and a pickle as well.

They have a huge menu with many standard sandwiches and a selection of specialty sandwiches names after Baltimore celebrities. Order one of these and they donate 25 cents to charity. They also offer breakfast as well. We will definitely go back!

2 comments:

falmanac said...

You missed the great deli's of Baltimore by about 40 years. They had sandwiches as big as my head, of course, I was very small at the time. I still remember when I was about three years old and my dad shoved a huge sandwich in my face, full of fresh meat, hot mustard, horseradish, and onions. "Don't give him that!," my mother warned. Sure enough, I threw-up all over the place a few hours later. But I was hooked, it was still the best sandwich I ever ate. After that, he'd give me a little beer with my sandwich to settle my stomach. You can read about Baltimore's "Corned Beef Row" here http://www.citypaper.com/special/story.asp?id=6044. As for Harford County, well it's never been much for food. Somehow the crackers and the bohunks never got together to create a regional taste. (I'm half cracker/half hunky myself.) Nowadays, all the local bloggers go nuts with joy when a crappy chain-store carryout comes to town - I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

SavorySimple said...

I keep hearing about restaurant.com, I really need to check it out.